ROLE AND FUNCTIONS
When the Bologna Secretariat was first established following the Berlin meeting of Ministers responsible for higher education, the Bologna Follow-up Group (BFUG) agreed, after discussion, upon its role and functions. These proposals for a Secretariat were accepted by the BFUG Meeting in Rome in November 2003. The terms of reference for the Secretariat were first modified in 2005 at the BFUG Meeting in Manchester in October 2005 for the period 2015-2018 at the BFUG Meeting in Luxembourg in September 2015 and the Board Meeting in Chisinau in January 2016, and last modified for the period 2018-2020 at the BFUG Meeting in Vienna in September 2018. The terms of reference for the Secretariat for the period 2021-2024 were last modified at the BFUG Meeting in Portugal in April 2021.
The main tasks of the Bologna Follow-Up Group Secretariat are:
- providing administrative and operational support for the BFUG and its Board - including planning meetings and taking minutes;
- assisting the BFUG and its Board in the follow-up work for the period 2021 to 2024 – including planning of activities and following up on the BFUG decisions;
- supporting all Working Groups, Advisory Groups and other structures, and on demand, preparing the draft reports;
- carrying out any special tasks concerning the implementation of the work programme of the European Higher Education Area;
- reviewing and updating the European Higher Education Area website and archives;
- acting as an external and internal contact point for the European Higher Education Area;
- sharing important messages with members and stakeholders;
- providing representation at external events upon request of the organisers;
- supporting the BFUG Board to establish interaction with the European Research Area (ERA);
- preparing the Ministerial Conference in Albania (2024) and the Bologna Policy Forum under the supervision of the BFUG.
Terms of Reference
Read more about the role of the secretariat in Terms of Reference of the BFUG Secretariat 2021 - 2024
Rules of Procedure
The Rules of Procedure outline the structure of the BFUG and the way of operating in the 2021-2024 period.
The BFUG Rules of Procedure and its annexes were presented at the BFUG Meeting in Portugal (15-16 April 2021) where they were adopted by the BFUG. Another update on the Rules of Procedures were approved at the BFUG Meeting in Brno (7-8 November 2022)
BFUG Rules of Procedure 2021-2024
BFUG Rules and Procedures Annexes and Appendixes
Work Plan 2021 - 2024